Re: [ecf-dev] Tycho?

On 7 Jun 2011, at 10:24, Harshana Eranga Martin wrote:

Hi Alex,

On 7 June 2011 14:17, Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Is there any plans or interest to build ECF with Tycho?

Since our current Bucky (Buckminster) setup works fine and we are already configured it to publish our p2 repo, I don't see we are moving to Tycho right now.  But can you elaborate on why we should consider moving to Tycho?

Harshana (and others),

Tycho allows you to be able to check out and build a project locally on your machine, instead of having to do things with a remote server, as Doug said in his recent blog post on the subject (http://cdtdoug.blogspot.com/2011/06/build-for-all.html). Basically, with Maven/Tycho, you can continue to develop the code in PDE as you're used to, but you can then individually build plugins (as well as 'everything') which makes it easy for those wanting to test ECF outside of an IDE.

I'm starting to see more Eclipse projects move on from a standard PDE build onto Tycho, and from there, others (like Buckminster) as well. The fact that it fits in with many existing experiences of using Maven (checkout, maven clean package) means there's very little that needs to be available (other than Maven) to get going.

Does it add anything that Buckminster currently doesn't? Well, probably not. But then, how many people build the full ECF outside of the Jenkins server at the moment?

Alex

Back to the top