[ease-dev] Idea EASE Jupyter

Hi,

most of you probably know me, my name is Martin and I have done some work for EASE as part of the last two years' Google Summer of Code projects.

I would like to participate this year as well and have an idea that might be of help to some of you.

The Jupyter Notebook (formerly IPython Notebook) [1] is a web application that allows you to create documents and embed live code that can be run in an external interpreter (called a kernel).
It allows you to do stuff like write documentation for example scripts with the actual code directly embedded in the document. Whenever you think that nicely presented text would help your code the Jupyter Notebook might be the right thing for you.

My idea consists of two parts:
  •     Create Jupyter kernels for EASE
  •     Integrate the Jupyter server into EASE
With custom Jupyter kernels for EASE it would be possible to execute code from a Jupyter instance and have it run like a normal script in your eclipse application. You would have all the functionality from eclipse available in your code and have all the advantages of the EASE project.

These kernels are already a very cool feature but it would be even nicer if we could get Jupyter running directly in eclipse. For this I currently see two options:
  • Configure an external Jupyter instance to be displaying the web application in the eclipse HTML viewer.
  • Have a dedicated Jupyter instance running in a Jython interpreter directly in eclipse.
A simple solution how we could try to have both would be to add a preference page where it is possible to configure Jupyter instances. If we can get it running in Jython we could add an embedded option there as well.

The problem with the Jython solution is that Jupyter currently cannot be run in Jython without some modification.
From what I read Jython is trying to add support for Jupyter by their 2.7.2 release but it is not clear when this will be available (they haven't release 2.7.1 yet...).

I may be able to get it running but modifying the code to work makes maintaining it very difficult and I would like to avoid it if possible.

So this is the idea, please let me know what you think about it. Is there any interest in it or am I the only one who finds this idea cool?

Best regards,
Martin

[1] http://jupyter.org/

Back to the top