[e4-dev] Sandbox for Eclipse proposal as E4 sub-project

Hi everyone,

A few weeks back, Yatta launched a new experiment called "Sandbox for Eclipse" on GitHub[1]. We would like to contribute this project to the Eclipse Foundation and continue it there. We've discussed the project from early on with Lars. He suggested to make it a part of the e4 project, since it mostly touches on core Eclipse IDE aspects, and the incubator would give us the necessary flexibility for its further development.

You can read more about the idea behind Sandbox for Eclipse at [2]. Essentially, we stripped down the Eclipse IDE to the barest minimal text editor, with the goal to build a lean code editor product from the ground up, focusing strongly on good UX and using (mostly) existing Eclipse technology. Our plan is to extend this Sandbox Eclipse step by step, driven by user feedback as well as analysis of popular light-weight editors like Atom, Notepad++ or vs.code.  Every change is to be driven by centering on the best possible user experience, and the intention of the project is to be able to roll out UX concepts and experiments and get feedback quickly.

We expect a lot of the work on this project to come in the form of configuration, assembly, and of course product management. Code contributions will most likely be mostly for other Eclipse projects to fill in gaps, solve UX issues or improve integration.

Of course we also want to ship a useful product/package to end-users. Right now, the - quite limited - text editor on GitHub is just a starting point that's mostly of interest for potential contributors, but over time, this should develop into an actual useful, lean editor in the vein of Atom or Notepad++ (actually, that's a quite crucial part in order to elicit good feedback from end-users).

What do you think? Would the E4 incubator make a good home for this?

Best,
Carsten

-
[1] https://github.com/YattaSolutions/eclipse-sandbox