Re: [cdt-dev] PlatformIO

I'm currently using PlatformIO with VS Code on Ubuntu for an Arduino application. I'm still using the serial output for debugging, and I don't know if there's a better way provided by PlatformIO.

The main reason that I'm using it is the build system it uses. I can find packages related to the peripheral devices that connect to my Arduino as well as packages for Wifi setup, MQTT, etc. There's a tab in VS Code provided by PlatformIO where I can select the platform (ESP32), the framework (Arduino vs FreeRTOS), and any packages (version specific) that I want to pull in. I can even specify a specific branch/tag of a github repo if I need to do some extra-special stuff.

During the build, it pulls the packages into some internal directory and updates my build paths to pick up the headers and libraries. I was up and running with an MQTT application in less than 15 minutes.

If I could do this with Eclipse CDT, I would. It has the same feel as using maven on the Java side.

-J.

Quoting Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hey gang,

Just wondering if anyone has experience with PlatformIO?

It's been interesting walking through they're history of IDE support, first supporting all the popular C/C++ IDE's including ours, adding in Cloud IDE support when that was exciting, but now focusing on branding their own IDE which at first was extensions to Atom but now focused on Visual Studio Code.

https://platformio.org/platformio-ide

It piqued my interest since their IDE has a lot of the same features we're thinking of adding to our gdb adapter and extensions including memory and register views. Not sure there are any synergies to be had their but it might be worth exploring.

The other interesting aspect of their vscode extension is that it's based on Microsoft's cpptools extension. Part of my not so hidden agenda is to have CDT's vscode extension take over that role, especially for C/C++ tooling for embedded platforms and Linux our traditional CDT markets.

Anyway, gives me further confidence that we're making the right moves here addressing the needs of C/C++ developers who may or may not want to use the Eclipse IDE. And we have a great start on the gdb adapter and the vscode extension for it and looking forward to getting it running in the Eclipse IDE and Theia.

Doug.

--
James "J" Langley
Chief Technical Officer