Re: [cdt-dev] Build System redo

On 03/17/2015 10:23 PM, Doug Schaefer wrote:
I think the complexity comes most from the per resource settings, which are pretty magic to keep things in scale.

The actual model you see in the plugin.xml is mainly the build model I started with (IToolChain, ITool, IOption, etc). And it served the
purpose of generating Makefiles. It’s not too bad. It’s morphed a little as things were tacked on to handle edge cases, like dynamic enum
values and such. The big problem, though, is that it was built around the extension point. At the end of the day, I don’t think that is an
effective way of describing complex toolchains. We should really start with a Java API, let it be fully dynamic, and use the plug-in.xml and
potentially other sources to populate the model.

And thus you create a way to describe toolchain and options, and figure actual transformation you need to run, that:

- duplicates knowledge existing build system have
- can only be edited from Eclipse, but not from command-line or other editors.
- is fairly incomplete - like, does not supports precompiled headers, common parser generators, WinRT, unit tests
  and so forth.

--
Vladimir Prus
CodeSourcery / Mentor Embedded