[cdt-dev] enablement not defined, master branch wants me to increment version, my recipe to get started with CDT hacking.

Hi all,

I just joined this list so I could ask this question. I'm a returning eclipse plugin developer(Last time I did some in 2009) and new to CDT.

I'm trying to explore and hack cdt code.

I ran into three different errors, can anyone guide me to fix it?

My OS is Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (64-bit)

When I use the master branch in git I get an error(for org.eclipse.cdt.ui package) that says something like "You need to increment the API minor version number because you have changed the API" when I try to increment that number in the Manifest file I get more errors.

When I change to cdt_8_1 branch, that error goes away. But there is another error which is still there.

"Referenced element 'enablement' is not defined"

When I googled, I found http://eclipse.1072660.n5.nabble.com/Salvo-build-fails-td17295.html which said "Yes. Absence of org.eclipse.core.expressions/schema/expressionLanguage.exsd schema file might cause this problem."

But I don't know what's the best way to get this schema file and why it's missing from my setup.

When I comment out the offending lines from the exsd files, then the errors go away.

Now when I tried to launch it through right click shortcut. I get this error."Bundle org.eclipse.cdt.core.linux.x86_5.2.0.qualifier [81] was not resolved."

I tried the second time through Run -> Debug Configuration, and it worked.

Here are the steps I used to get here. I've tried to be as thorough as I could.

Thank you.
Spundun.

Downloaded eclipse-SDK-4.2.1-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz for baseline.
Downloaded eclipse-jee-juno-SR1-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz for development. (In hind sight, I didn't need java EE build. I could've used eclipse classic or eclipse cut, as long as I made sure PDE and JDT packages were installed also)

untarred both as eclipse-baseline and eclipse directories respectively.

ran eclipse baseline. Installed Features "C/C++ Development Tools" and "C/C++ Development Tools SDK" both version  8.1.1.201209170703
exited eclipse-baseline.

Started eclipse. Clicked Help -> Check for Updates. Updated "Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers" to version 1.5.1.20121004-1506

Now Help -> About Eclipse -> Installation Details -> Features
shows
PDE Version: 3.8.1.v20120814-104528-7c7vFixFFt6Zr5aC6KM6LGWSd
Build id: M20120914-1800

Restarted eclipse. Installed "Eclipse EGit", "Eclipse EGit Mylyn GitHub Feature", "EGit Mylyn" ,"EGit Plug-in Import Support", "EGit Project Set Support" version 2.1.0.201209190230-r

At this point I'm thinking I got all the eclipse plugins I need.

Now I set the baseline eclipse in my development eclipse. Window -> Preferences -> Plug-in Development -> API Baselines -> Add Baseline -> Point to eclipse-baseline folder. Call it CDT 8.1.1. Now this is set as my default Baseline.

Now I decide to first import lpgjavaruntime because I wanted to play with the parser.
File -> Import -> CVS -> Projects from CVS -> :pserver:anonymous@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/cvsroot/tools -> org.eclipse.orbit->net.sourceforge.lpg.lpgjavaruntime (there is also lpg.runtime.java, but from my past experience, that one is not useful)

(Warning, If you are following this as a recipe then the next step is wrong, as explained a couple of steps later, you need the API Tools Descriptions packages first and then proceed)
Now I import all the cut modules from git
Window->Open Perspective->Git Repository Exploring
Git Repositories(tab) -> Clone a Git Repository and…(button) -> URI -> git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/cdt/org.eclipse.cdt.git -> master ->cdt_8_1->Finish
Once the cloning process is finished, then
Git Repositories(tab) -> Right Click on org.eclipse.cdt repo and select import projects -> Next -> Select All Projects
Window-> Open Perspective -> Other -> Plug-in Development

Oops get a lot of errors. Forgot to install API Tools Execution Environment Descriptions.
Help-> Install… -> (WOrk with) All sites -> search for description -> mark all the API Tools Execution Environment Descriptions packages
Deleted all the cut projects, went to git perspective and re-imported all after reseting the repo.

The following test projects were giving build errors. So I closed them
org.eclipse.cdt.autotools.ui.tests
org.eclipse.cdt.tests.dsf

This left me with two errors.
Description	Resource	Path	Location	Type
Referenced element 'enablement' is not defined	quickFixProcessors.exsd	/org.eclipse.cdt.ui/schema	line 61	Plug-in Problem
Referenced element 'enablement' is not defined	quickAssistProcessors.exsd	/org.eclipse.cdt.ui/schema	line 56	Plug-in Problem

When I googled I found http://eclipse.1072660.n5.nabble.com/Salvo-build-fails-td17295.html which said "Yes. Absence of org.eclipse.core.expressions/schema/expressionLanguage.exsd schema file might cause this problem."
Not sure if that's the problem.

Comment out both the lines. Now the errors go away.

right click on org.eclipse.cdt.ui-> Run As -> Eclipse Application
It fails with the following error
…
Bundle org.eclipse.cdt.core.linux.x86_5.2.0.qualifier [81] was not resolved.
…
And a lot other errors like that.

Run -> Debug Configurations -> Eclipse Application -> Add -debug to the arguments -> Click Debug.

Back to the top