Re: [cbi-dev] Building maven artifacts for Eclipse SUMO

Hi Robert,

see my answers inline.

On 19 Mar 2021, at 17:12, Robert.Hilbrich@xxxxxx wrote:

Hi CBI-Dev members,

the Eclipse SUMO project is currently hosted on GitHub, based on C++ and built with GitHub actions & cmake. As part of our build process, we also create jars (java-bindings for an interface to SUMO – see: https://github.com/orgs/eclipse/packages?repo_name=sumo), which we would like to make publicly available for maven builds. Unfortunately, GitHub Packages require an access token to consume maven artifacts which is a show stopper for other projects relying on our packages. Therefore, we decided to use the Eclipse infrastructure and opened a bug to havehttps://repo.eclipse.org/content/repositories/sumo/ created for us. So far so good …

Unfortunately, we cannot push the artifacts from the GitHub actions build tohttp://repo.eclipse.org, because upload from external sources is currently not possible. Therefore, our only options seems to be to also build SUMO on Jenkins (in addition to the GitHub actions) and to publish the artifacts from the Jenkins build.

We tried to go through the wiki page and experimented with a basic Jenkinsfile on ci.eclipse.org (see: https://github.com/eclipse/sumo/blob/master/Jenkinsfile). For this purpose, we started with a “Multibranch Pipeline” configuration (https://ci.eclipse.org/sumo/job/sumo-build/). However, the repository cloning process already fails at 58% with an exception – as seen in the logs below.

Our questions are:
  • Is our approach ok? Is there a better way to achieve our goal?

This approach is perfectly fine.

  • How can we successfully clone the repo in the container infrastructure? Yes – the repo of SUMO has grown to a repo size of 750MB over the years …

Given the size of the repo, the build job resources may need to be tweaked (the jnlp container to be precise). Could you please open a ticket at https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Community&component=CI-Jenkins so that we can help you with this?

  • How can we use an ubuntu image with cmake and gcc to build SUMO (instead of maven:alpine)?

You can build you own image, push it to docker hub (or quay or gcr) and use that from your Jenkinsfile. See https://wiki.eclipse.org/Jenkins#Custom_container for details.

  • How can we configure the infrastructure to trigger the Jenkins build based on tagged commits to the GitHub Repository master branch only?

I don't think it's possible to trigger builds on tagged commits in a specific branch only, but I guess the Jenkinsfile can be adapted to filter steps on branch/tags in order to do what you want (see https://www.jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/syntax/#when).

Cheers,

Mikaël Barbero
Manager — Release Engineering and Technology | Eclipse Foundation
🐦 @mikbarbero