Re: [cbi-dev] Questions about Python and publishing to another Git repo

Hi Jim,

See my answers below

On 17 Mar 2021, at 00:53, Jim Hughes <jhughes@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

I have two things I'm trying to iron out for Eclipse GeoMesa's CI jobs.

First, GeoMesa is mostly a typical Maven with Java 8 build; there is a PySpark integration which is hidden behind a profile and building with that profile requires Python and installing a few pip packages (setuptools and pyspark).  Also, GeoMesa's documentation is built with Sphinx.

Is there a recommended way to add the necessary Python packages to a build?  (In an internal Jenkins, we have used virtualenv to install the packages in an ad hoc manner.  I tried that on the GeoMesa CI, but it wasn't available.)

You can run your build in a custom docker image that you provide (and as such, with the tools you need). See https://wiki.eclipse.org/Jenkins#How_do_I_run_my_build_in_a_custom_container.3F

Second, GeoMesa's documentation source is in the main GeoMesa repo and the docs are hosted in a separate one hooked up to GitHub pages.  For historical reasons, the GitHub pages repo is in a separate GitHub organization.

Is there an obvious way to sort out the necessary pieces for that to work?  (Admittedly, this is kinda like https://wiki.eclipse.org/Jenkins#How_to_build_my_project.27s_website_with_Jenkins.3F where Hugo is replaced with Sphinx, things have already moved to github, and separate GitHub organizations are in play.)

First, I would work toward moving the GH pages repo in the proper organization. What you are doing may not be compliant with the Eclipse Development Process.

I don't think there is an obvious way to sort out this thing though. Please open a ticket at https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Community&component=CI-Jenkins with as many details as possible with what you want to achieve so that we can help you with this.

Thanks.

Mikaël Barbero
Manager — Release Engineering and Technology | Eclipse Foundation
🐦 @mikbarbero