[cbi-dev] Jenkins credentials plugin

Hello,

We'd like to integrate our Jenkins jobs (project MicroProfile) with other systems, like GitHub and Maven Central. For example, we'd like to use the maven release plugin from a job to build our release artifacts, update the GitHub repository with the release tag and deploy the release artifact into Maven central.

We need a way to store and use credentials to those other systems on Jenkins, ideally per user. I think we could use the credentials plugin which is already installed on the Jenkins instance, but I never worked with it before and I also don't know how to request adding credentials to it.

So my question is are there any guidelines or examples how to use the credentials plugin? Is it correct that the plugin is able to store credentials per user and a Jenkins job would access external systems with credentials stored for the current user which started the job?

I believe that the best way to set up jobs with credentials is to make the job choose the credentials that are stored for the Jenkins user that started the build so that everything can be tracked to a specific committer who started the job. I'd like to avoid having a common shared technical account used by all Jenkins jobs.

If the configuration I need is possible with the credentials plugin, is it enough to just create a bug in bugzilla to request adding credentials for each specific user and system?

Thanks,
Ondro

Back to the top