Re: [cbi-dev] Best practices for setting p2.mirrorsURL? (long)

Hi David,

> I don't have a tool "magic-copy" (but, it is a good idea :) but agree
> with you that "promotion" it the right time to set the p2.mirrorsURL
> because we too "move them around" without rebuilding.
>
> What I do is use the org.eclipse.wtp.releng.tools.addRepoPropertiesto
> modify the value,
> then just recreate the xz version of contents.jar using a small bash
> file and the native xz Linux support.

Yes, that would be the necessary steps:

1. Make a working copy of the p2 repo
2. Add a p2.mirrorsURL
3. Create the XZ compressed files again
4. Copy the p2 repo to its final location

> I can't say I'd have time to work on it any time soon, but a "move
> repository" function seems worth a CBI feature request.

Before I file a feature request I'd like to figure out exactly what tool
exactly would perform the above steps.

I can imagine several implementations, each with their pro's and con's:

1. An executable (implemented in whatever) that is installed on all
HIPPs and that you can execute in your Hudson "Execute Shell" actions

  + Easiest implementation
  - Not useable outside of Eclipse-owned HIPPs

2. A Maven plugin

  + Automagically downloads all its dependencies
  + Configuration managed in POM (and hence in Git)
  - Useless to projects no using Maven

3. A Jenkins/Hudson action plugin

  + Tightest integration into Hudson promotion

What would your preference be?

Personally, I would be able to lend assistance in implementing 2., as
Maven is what I have the most experience with.

Best wishes,

Andreas

--
Codetrails GmbH