Re: [cbi-dev] Procedure to deploy to download.eclipse.org

On 10/27/2015 08:53 AM, LE FEVRE FRANCOIS wrote:

Mickael,

Thanks for your quick answer.

So if I do understand from your answer and examples that I have find across several projects

I have 3 solutions, I could:

1.       Add a shell command task in my Hudson job

2.       Add a maven plugin (ant) in the normal build process

3.       Add shell command that are deployed as a cron on the download.eclipse.org server; that is in charge to retrieve the build artifacts

Any idea what is the best approve between the 3 solutions?

I believe that 1 and 2 are equally good in general, but depending on your constraints/specificity, you may prefer one to the other. Criteria to take into account is mainly if you want to be able to publish from anywhere (2) or are hudson jobs enough (1)? Not that since AFAIK download.eclipse.org can only be tweaked from inside the eclipse.org domain, I don't know if it's feasible to have a deploy step that works from any server so (1) usually seems simpler and efficient enough.
If you go for 2, you're not forced to use Ant, you can use a bash script or whatever that you can retrieve and execute from pom. For reference, here is how we do it for JBoss Tools, but we're SFTP based and we do want to be able to deploy from anywhere and additional tricks: https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-build/blob/master/parent/pom.xml#L796 . A more evolved solution in the same style would be to have a dedicated deploy mojo, coded in Java, but so far we feel more comfortable with bash for the deploy part.
Solution 3 sucks IMO. There is no reason to "schedule" a deployment of snapshots. By definition, snapshots are volatile, supposed to be updated whenever there is something now. Scheduling slows down the feedback loop, and is more complicated to set up. Cost++ Value--.

 It is strange that there is no official shell script that make the job for any eclipse project.
This script could define the official process in term of naming convention etc… It seems that every project has its own scripts…
Any idea if there is an official Maven/ Tycho plugin that could take all of this in order to standardize the way eclipse projects publish their artifacts?

Actually, there is no official script because there is no official process/locations for snapshots of a given projects. Look at several projects (Platform, WTP, SWTBot, m2e...), you'll notice that each project has its naming convention for snapshot repositories. So it's not very possible to have an official deploy script that would work for all.
However, I agree it would be interesting to define recommendations as part of CBI and to implement necessary scripts/mojos. But since projects have managed this by themselves with a good success so far, it's not something that appears urgent IMHO.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat

Back to the top