[cbi-dev] CBI definition

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry to be annoying and nitpick. If I could please convince everyone to please use the term the CBI ____ build to avoid confusion with CBI itself. e.g. CBI Eclipse platform build

CBI itself == common tools, services, infrastructure, and templates used by many projects.

We sometimes need to do work above and beyond CBI to replace an existing build system where it makes sense. If they become common to more than one project, we can examine folding them into CBI.

There are still no plans to force projects to use CBI. Using CBI means you benefit from the time, energy, and knowledge of other CBI users and get help from the Foundation via. our release engineer (Thanh!). If it works as planned, you'll get a better more consistent build with less effort. This may help you attract contributions as people can potentially figure out how to build your project more easily.

CBI also helps a project be LTS ready. Being LTS ready increases the likelihood that a project will attract efforts of maintenance committers paid for by LTS members. Maintenance committers work mostly in the parallel dimension of LTS-space. Recruiting the best & brightest maintenance committers should be a good thing for everyone.

Andrew

Back to the top