[cbi-dev] Granularity of current Tycho build of eclipse sdk

If I may ask another, probably "dumb question", What was the point, exactly, of "building everything at once"? I know there was an initial effort to build equinox, and then the platform, and then jdt and pde and at the time that failed because the "repositories were not correct" for that approach. I'm wondering if thing have improved enough (in Tycho or understanding) that the Tycho builds could be more "feature driven" now?

I'm not sure about "platform and equinox" that might be hopelessly intertwined due to intertwined history, but seems to me the Platform-plus-equinox, JDT, and PDE, should be easily separable?

I'm fairly sure they would be for PDE and the only reason no effort was made in the past was so that everything could be included in one big zip to "ship over" from IBM machines, to eclipse.org machines for signing, and then shipped aback, and packaging and tests continue from there.

I am asking to try and catch up my education. Is Tycho "repo driven"? Or can it be made to be "feature driven"? I think the answer will give me (us all) a good idea of what kind of simplifications could be made in the future, since, I believe, part of the goal of this transition is to end up with simpler, easier to understand builds.

Thanks for any pointers,

Back to the top