Re: [cbi-dev] tycho and qualifiers

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 8:00 AM, Igor Fedorenko <igor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Build configuration can be inherited from a parent pom, so build output
can change even if the files under project basedir did not. Using pde.ui
as an example, one can specify jsr14 compile target in
eclipse.pde.ui/pom.xml and this will affect all pde.ui bundles.

This is why I suggest using two-phase approach for generating build
versions

1. Generate build qualifier using tagged commit.

That some of the dependencies or ECJ compiler or PDE build configuration might change and produce slightly different output is a concern but it's one that we live with today.  The risk level we're willing to live with is as David mentions, that we'll believe if the qualifier hasn't changed, the bundle hasn't changed (and our extension of that, if the source changes the qualifier should change).  That's one of the reasons I want to break up the build input (the tag on the repo) vs the qualifiers for the plugins.  They're not really related.

2. Compare build results to a baseline build ignoring version qualifier.
  If build results did not change, use build results from the
  baseline build.

I'm with David on this, I think can consume a large amount of build time (and is probably quite complicated).  Our current build does run a step against the build baseline, but it is a comparison of version.qualifier that throws away any of the new bundles that have matching qualifiers to ensure that we take the origin version and aren't effected by ECJ or PDE build changes.

PW

--
Paul Webster
Hi floor.  Make me a sammich! - GIR