Re: [cbi-dev] tycho and qualifiers

On 12-02-09 11:22 AM, Paul Webster wrote:
Hi Igor,

Thanks for the comments.

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Igor Fedorenko <igor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:igor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    To decide how to approach reproducible build qualifiers, the
    Platform team needs to answer two key questions

    - do you require Maven version of platform artifacts to be
    reproducible? I do not believe this is necessary.

I'm not sure what you mean here?  Are you asking about the SNAPSHOT concept?

Our starting point would be "for the same build input, commit X for this
repo, generate the same qualifiers".

Technically, Tycho build generates two qualifiers, one for
Eclipse/OSGi/P2 metadata and one for Maven. Although I believe Maven
qualifier is not important for the Eclipse Platform build, I still
wanted to mention it... in the interest of full disclosure, so to speak ;-)

    - does the Platform team plan to use the same version qualifier for
    all projects from the same git repository or not?

No, each bundle gets it's own qualifier.  Git already supports asking
the question: for bundle director <repo>/bundles/my.bundle, what was the
last commit to touch this directory.  It seems that even within one repo
we can determine commits and hence qualifiers on a project by project basis.

What is the usecase for using different version qualifiers for different
projects from the same git repository?

Igor

Back to the top