Re: [cbi-dev] Some feedback on the build prototype

Hi Igor,

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 10:34 AM, Igor Fedorenko <igor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I found one notable exception to this rule. 4.2 SDK uses
bundles/features coming from two different branches of eclipse.platform
git repository. From what I can tell, eclipse.platform contains three
unrelated pieces of functionality, i.e. ant, update and platform. I was
able to workaround this by using two separate clones, one for ant&update
build and one for platform, but this will likely cause problems going
forward. I think this git repository should be split in three.

Ah yes, eclipse.platform.  It's the combination of one repo for each committer authorized area plus the fact that 2 bundles needed to be forked for R4.2.

In that case they appear to be 3 distinct components controlled by one committer ACL, but as each component forks bundles to support 3.8 vs 4.2 more repos will end up in that scenario.  We tried keeping the common bundles in master and R3_development in sync in eclipse.platform.ui but it has proven to be unmanageable.   So for now the decision has been to only have 2 bundles in R3_development in 3.8 and get the rest of the bundles for 3.8 from master.  For 4.2, all of the bundles would come from master.

There's still some debate about how to manage the 3.8/4.2 split.

Later,
Paul

--
Paul Webster