[cbi-dev] Some feedback on the build prototype

first of all, cool :-)

The first run of mvn make clean (skip tests)  took about 30 minutes on my work linux box (duo core) and 15 minutes on my quad core at home.  A secondary run on my work Duo core was about 20 min.

1) It seems to be mostly a 4.2 build.  The diff between our current 4.2 build and the build output is listed in the other email.  At least one must-have plugin is missing, org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.addons.swt.  It also looks like you are using the 3.8 features and branding plugins.  The splash screen has been updated, but more than that those plugins contain the CSS we use to style eclipse 4.2.

Information about the current build git repos and branches can be found in our auto-tagging configuration:
3.8: http://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.releng.maps.git/tree/org.eclipse.releng/tagging/repositories.txt
4.2: http://git.eclipse.org/c/e4/org.eclipse.e4.releng.git/tree/tagging/repositories.txt (until we move to the 4.2 long build, some time in M5)

2) When I look at the repo in TMP/org.eclipse.sdk.epp/target/repository I don't see any of the org.eclipse.e4.* bundles.  Does that mean they weren't built?  It looks like they were compiled in the eclipse.platform.ui repo.

3) the product zips created use DefaultProfile instead of SDKProfile when created.  When I tried to run a subset of the automated tests, they looked like they were installed but weren't available at runtime ('cause they were installed into SDKProfile :-)  Could that be switched, we have a fair bit of infrastructure that depends on that profile.

4) there are no doc or source bundles (probably not that far yet).

Could we focus the LTS build on 3.8?  I know that we're moving to the 4.2 long build soon, but not yet, and that will probably make it hard to compare LTS to a complete build of any kind.  Plus 3.8 only has the ECF external dependency, and 4.2 has quite a few more (include EMF core which we currently get from the 2.8milestone repo, they promote their milestone build early).

Later,
PW

--
Paul Webster