Re: [aspectj-users] AspectJ versioning question

Hi Alan.

Thanks for your  inquiry.

AspectJ generally does not release updates for older versions. Usually,
more recent versions are backward compatible. E.g., you can use the
current 1.9.22 to compile with 1.8 source/target or use LTW on Java 8.
Only in your build environment when using AJC directly or
aspectjtools.jar via Maven oder Gradle plugin, you would need Java 17,
because the upstream Eclipse compiler requires it.

Regards
--
Alexander Kriegisch
https://scrum-master.de

Mclachlan, Alan via aspectj-users schrieb am 30.04.2024 um 13:13:

> I read up on the supported Java versions situation on the github issue tracker.
> I have some related questions around the v1.8.x line:
>
> 1. Is the project still releasing fixes on the 1.8.x line, at least while Java 8 is still in support?
> I ask because I think the last one was 1.8.14 in 2019. Say a CVE shows up, would you be likely to release a 1.8.15 with a fix?
>
> 2. Are the 1.8.x minor releases compatible, in the semantic-versioning sense of the word?
> i.e would a hypothetical 1.8.15 be a drop-in replacement?
> I ask because this project doesn't explicitly follow semantic versioning, although I suspect it may have back in the 1.8 days?
>
> Apologies if these are answered elsewhere, if so I didn't manage to find them on the website.
>
> The context of my ask is OWASP A06 analysis of our SBOM, not to motivate for any project action.
>
> regards
>
> Alan McLachlan
> ACI Worldwide
> www.aciworldwide.com