Re: [xtext-dev] Why does Rename Element in a dsl plugin triggers build for the project before rename ? How to remove it?

Please open a issue at github.com/eclipse/Xtext-eclipse for discussion
Am 12. Sep. 2019, 7:17 PM +0200 schrieb Lidia Popescu <lidochca@xxxxxxxxx>:
Hello Christian,

Based on few investigations we decided that customizing our builder is not a solutions for us.
Therefore we would need an option in preferences to disable building the whole workspace in advance when we try to 'Rename an element' in DSL files.

We have project with mixed sources CPP/python/other custom languages, whose configuration paths and other files could change outside eclipse, by running an external builder, e.g. a ccmake from command line,  and when we trigger a build from eclipse, it still should happen event if for eclipse nothing has changed.

So for us it is not possible to have an incremental builder, that should not be triggered, if nothing has changed.

Therefore, would it be possible in next releases to add such preference in Xtext, that would disable workspace build during 'Rename an element' ?
Something in SyncUtil.java like

public void waitForBuild(IProgressMonitor monitor) {
try {
      if ( workspace_build_enabled_during_rename) {
                workspace.build(IncrementalProjectBuilder.INCREMENTAL_BUILD, monitor);
      }
} catch (CoreException e) {
      throw new OperationCanceledException(e.getMessage());
}
}

I also took a look how the rename action happens for CPP files, and there build workspace is not triggered in advance, only workspace.save (which already happens for xtext if we enable it in preferences, the SyncUtil.reconcileAllEditors saveAll ).
Same solution should be fine for all our dsl files/projects.

Thank you
Kind Regards
Lidia