[xtext-dev] +1 for Karsten Thoms on modeling.tmf.xtext by Sven Efftinge

Sven Efftinge voted:
    +1
Hi Holger, Karsten is definitely a very important member of the Xtext
community with a huge backlog of contributions.

I\'d like to take the opportunity to reason a bit about committership in
general and what it means.

I would like to do it around your last sentence:
> \"I strongly believe that he has earned the credits to become a part of
the team.\"

Between the lines it reads like there is a \'committer team\' and the rest.
I think we should value every member in the community based on their
contributions, regardless whether they have the technical right to merge
PRs or not. By talking about =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=A2=C2=80=C2=98the?= =?UTF-8?Q?team=C3=A2=C2=80=C2=99?= you are fostering some sort of
eliteness, which results in active contributors being perceived a bit
second class.

I think we should avoid that sort of two class citizenship in the
community. Being a committer should just add that bit about write
permissions and doesn\'t tell so much about the real value of a community
member. =?UTF-8?Q?=C3=A2=C2=80=C2=98Committer=C3=A2=C2=80=C2=99?= should not be something like a medal that we give
to members.

So sorry for nitpicking on your proposal, which was of course not intended
to insult non-committers. I just wanted to share my view on this with all
of you and thought this is a good opportunity. I really want to make Xtext
more open, diverse and community driven and for that it is sometimes
important to reflect on the language we use.

For the concrete case of Karsten, I know that he really wants to become a
committer and has worked hard in the last couple of weeks to gather the
credits. Again committership should be about the trust that someone
understands the core spirit of the project and only applies those changes
that are in line with that. Honestly I would have preferred to wait a bit
longer as there were some controversial changes, but I am confident that
Karsten will use his new gained commit rights with care.

So +1 from my side, but =?UTF-8?Q?let=C3=A2=C2=80=C2=99s?= try to avoid misusing committership as some
sort of award.

Voting summary: http://portal.eclipse.org/

Back to the top