[xtext-dev] PDE API Tooling

Hi,

I've started to prepare our code base to use PDE API Tooling.
Currently mostly packages from org.eclipse.xtext, org.eclipse.xtext.ui, org.eclipse.xtext.generator and org.eclipse.xtext.util
are non-internal (i.e. API).
In order to get nice feedback for future changes you need to set a base-line (the jars are in the repository).

To do so, open Preferences "Plug-In Development->API Baselines" and point to the new folder
"releng/org.eclipse.xtext.releng/api-baseline/runtime_2.0.0_M6"

For further information about PDE API Tooling see : http://wiki.eclipse.org/PDE/API_Tools/User_Guide

The rational is to explicitly declare a reasonable set of API such that languages can be built based on it and that next year's release
don't require migration nor recompilation (binary compatibility).
However a lot of useful and new stuff (e.g. Xbase) can only be released as provisional API, so that clients have to update and migrate next year.

Cheers,
Sven

Back to the top