[xtext-dev] New Target Platform

Hi Everybody,

I've updated Xtext's target platform. It is available for download at:
http://download.itemis.com/distros/ eclipse-SDK-3.5.2-xtext-2.0-targetplatform-*

It consists of Eclipse 3.5.2 Classic plus the contents from org.eclipse.xtext.targetplatform35.feature:
http://git.eclipse.org/c/tmf/org.eclipse.xtext.git/tree/releng/org.eclipse.xtext.releng/distrobuilder/org.eclipse.xtext.targetplatform35.feature/feature.xml?id=4d9f475ca9fbfb4d6e9152af3724208fef2b2c59

Important! This target platform
- does not contain Xtext, MWE, Xpand and Xdoc. You'll have to get their sources from the git repositories. - contains org.antlr.runtime 3.2.0, which is *not* compatible with Xtext 1.0.1

We have this target platform because...
- this way all developers can use the same versions of the needed libraries
- we ensure we use the same versions of the libraries as the build
- it is more convenient do download a singe file than to collect and install a dozen of plugins/features.

To use the target platform, download the appropriate file for your platform from http://download.itemis.com/distros/ and unpack it. Then, launch your Eclipse workbench, go to properties -> "Plug-In Development" -> "Target Platform" and choose "Add...". In the Wizard, choose "Nothing" to start with an empty target platform. Then, in the tab "Locations", go to "Add..", "Installation" and choose the directory where you have unpacked the target platform. After having clicked "ok", "finish", "fine", "perfect", "done", etc., make sure in the preferences dialog "target platforms" that you new target platform is activated. Now, All plugins in your workspace will use the plugins form the targetplatform instead of the ones from your host workbench.

The target platform is actually a valid Eclipse Distribution. When launching the binary "eclipse" it behave just like every other Eclipse. It's not intended to be used that way - however - it can be useful to install additional plugins which will then also be available in the target platform.

cheers,
  Moritz

Back to the top