Re: [xtext-dev] API

Hi Heiko, Peter, Patrick,

thanks for all your suggestions. I've updated the wiki page accordingly.

Regards,
Sebastian

Am 05.03.2009 um 18:48 schrieb Peter Friese:

Comments below.

On 05.03.2009, at 11:47, Sven Efftinge wrote:

I'd rather use these annotations as JavaDoc tags, for the following reasons:

I chose Annotations so that we can leverage the Java tooling.
Things like "find references" list all the stable API, for instance.
Good point :-)

1) The @deprecated JavaDoc tag allows us to tell developers what they are expected to do (like "use this and that other class / method)

Nothing prevents us from also using the JavaDoc tag.
Well, using both is quite redundant, don't you think? We'll sonn run into situations where someone forgot to add the one or the other. I really think we should decide for either of these options.

2) If we later want to use the PDE API tooling or convince the PDE team to enhance the PDE API tooling to support our annotations, we should be compatible. As they are using JavaDoc tags, so should we.

Nothing prevents us from using PDE-based JavaDocs in addition.
I as more thinking along the lines of making the PDE team adopt our annotations.

So, I am fine with rolling our own. I just felt it fair to mention that we've already rolled some of our own stuff and later decided to use other, existing tools.

Peter