Re: [xtext-dev] Content Assist in Xtend

Some more observations:
- In Xtend, dealing with a JavaMetamodel and an EmfRegistryMetamodel for ecore in parallel causes a lot of casting errors. You can work around that by delegating some calls to Java to perform the casts e.g. from ecore::EObject to org.eclipse.emf.ecore.EObject. Reordering the metamodels in the ExecutionContext didn't help either. Maybe we find a better solution.

I see two possibilities:
1) we fix Xtend so that we don't have these problems (if possible)
2) we introduce EClasses for all the JavaAPi and translate them in the framework

Both don't appeal to me:
1) We run the risk of changing a lot, breaking API, etc.

Of course without breaking API.
The problems you described sound like a bug to me.

2) Lot of double work, even more performance overhead at runtime, as things have to be translated. Note that the Xtend test is significantly slower than the Java variant, even though we don't really execute complicatd code...

Yes, that would be the price. But people using Xtend APIs seem not to be that concerned about performance. That does not mean we don't have to be careful. But I think we should give it a try and measure, before excluding this possibility. I could imagine that it's Xtend itself consuming most of the processing time, converting objects might be ignorable compared to that.

Sven

Back to the top