Re: [xsd-dev] "xmlns" in the <schema> element

Pae,

Are you saying you don't have access to newgroups:

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.  This XML

>    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>    <schema/>

and this

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <schema xmlns=""/>

both mean the same thing and neither are a valid representation of a
schema.  Similarly, an empty QName prefix map, verses a map containing a
single entry that maps null to "" both mean the same thing, and both
represent an incomplete state.  Whether the XSD model produces one
syntactically invalid form verses another equivalent syntactically invalid
form seems irrelevant; neither is useful and neither can be used to
construct a valid schema when subsequently read by a schema aware
processor.

The fundamental point is that the XSD model will help you build a valid
schema; it won't be so helpful about building an invalid one.  To have a
valid schema, you need to choose a valid schema for schema namespace, this
applies both in the XSD model and in an XML serialization of a schema.

Ed Merks/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
mailto: merks@xxxxxxxxxx
905-413-3265  (t/l 969)

                      "Pae Choi"
                      <paechoi@earthlin        To:       <xsd-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                      k.net>                   cc:       <xsd-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <xsd-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [xsd-dev] "xmlns" in the <schema> element
                      xsd-dev-admin@ecl
                      ipse.org

                      02/28/2003 07:47
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      xsd-dev

Ed,

I understand the content of schema was not valid, but that was not
what I asked for. And I've been developing the schema in hand
sufficient to understand whether they are valid or not.

The schema will be built in a valid format eventually, but here I am
trying to build it a piece by piece.

Again, the question is whetehr there is a proper way and/or any
workaround to do so or not. Thanks

Any more comments?

Pae

P.S.: Also, if the getQNamePrefixToNamespaceMap()  return a Map
which contains the size, 0, and shows the element is null. But the
result schema file contains as I enclosed in the previous message.
Shouldn't we call it a bug unless we call it a feature.

P.P.S: I would try the USER list to post the original message if it
was available, but this DEV list is only one avaialbe at [1].

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/mail/index.html

<xsd-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>                       k.net>                   cc:
>                       Sent by:                 Subject:  [xsd-dev]
"xmlns"
in the <schema> element