Re: [Wtp-wst-dev] Apache Derby server adapter

Hi Arthur,

Great, thanks for the information.  I will investigate if this is a possibility for me to pursue
given my current workload and tasks.

Regards,

Susan

Arthur Ryman <ryman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Susan,

I don't believe there is much work being done on it at WTP. Rakesh may have made more progress at Derby.

I'd very much like to see Derby integrated into WTP via the Server tools API. I think this would be a good model for Java stored procedure development, i.e. Derby is to Tomcat as Stored Procedures are to Servlets. This support would be a great test of the WST server API which should have no J2EE bias in it.

There are two approaches to integration: Generic and Custom. The Generic approach uses an XML config file and external commands. The Custom approach uses Java APIs. The Generic approach is mainly for J2EE servers but might be a good starting point. The best integration would be via the Custom approach.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx

Susan Cline <home4slc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-wst-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/14/2005 12:47 PM

Please respond to
"Web Standard Tools developer discussions."

wtp-wst-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[Wtp-wst-dev] Apache Derby server adapter

Hi,

Back in March of this year Rajesh Kartha posted about creating a Derby server definition /adapter.  Tim DeBoer responded with this information:

 The main server tools framework is in the WST server component. The best
place to start is in the overview on the org.eclipse website, and the
javadoc in org.eclipse.wst.server.core and org.eclipse.wst.server.ui. The
extension points in these two plugins provide support for a new server type,
as demonstrated by the Tomcat support.

Also, I found a WTP 0.7 release review presentation online dated July 6th from the WTP PMC
mentioning Derby under the list of supported servers.

I'm trying to determine if this work has already been done, or if it still needs to be done.
I do know Rajesh is no longer working on this.
I'd like to investigate the work involved and possibly do this if no one has already done it.

I also noticed that Gorkem Ercan has created a generic server definition file for it, but I'm wondering if the best way to do this is to use the Tomcat Server packages as a model for the Derby server.

Can someone confirm if anyone is working on this and if not, tell me if the believe the best way to proceed would be to use the Tomcat server as a model for Derby?

Thanks very much,

wtp-wst-dev mailing list
wtp-wst-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx