RE: [wtp-releng] Smoke Test Request for WTP 3.2.0 S-build

I vote to exclude test bundles from “qualifier only increase” checks. It should be sufficient that version is newer than the previous release. The careful consideration of the meaning of the version is wasted on test bundles.

While I certainly agree that not having an exception for test bundles is easier from the standpoint of this test, every time this test trips, committer spend time resolving these issues. In my opinion the payoff for resolving these issues on test bundles is not really worth the efforts expended.

- Konstantin

From: wtp-releng-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wtp-releng-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David M Williams
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:18 AM
To: Webtools releng discussion list
Subject: RE: [wtp-releng] Smoke Test Request for WTP 3.2.0 S-build

> why are these checks even covering test bundles?

I've assumed the versioning rules we've agreed to cover all our delivered bundles. And the test bundles a "deliverable".  For example, their license files need to be correct. Adopters can download them and run time.  Committers can provision them in their targets.

But typically we have not held up declaring a build if that was the only problem.

The purpose of these reports is to help us all catch "errors" early, that otherwise might not be noticed for a while, thus making each milestone a little closer to "release quality".

I hope everyone finds them helpful.

I'm open to suggestions, and the will of the committers as a group, it seems easier to me just to make the bundles correctly follow the versioning rules, rather than do the programming to make exceptions to the rule.

Thank you for asking for that clarification.  I'm sure others have/had the same question.

"Konstantin Komissarchik" <konstantin.komissarchik@xxxxxxxxxx>

"'Webtools releng discussion list'" <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>

01/28/2010 11:36 AM

RE: [wtp-releng] Smoke Test Request for WTP 3.2.0 S-build

Sent by:

wtp-releng-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

I released changes to fix the version issue in the test bundle, but why are these checks even covering test bundles?

- Konstantin