[wtp-releng] Our first P2'd build, but ....

For those up late ... or, up early in Europe ...

We've had a relatively successful P2 build ...

See
http://build.eclipse.org/webtools/committers/wtp-R3.0-I/20080326000919/I-I20080326000919-20080326000919/

which most of all demonstrates I can contain all the changes in our build infrastructure, and individual teams should not have to change your test.xml files. Some feature.xml files might have to be updated to be accurate (I did some, but not all). [And, it's easy ... just press the "compute" button to get your list of feature dependancies updated].

But, I'd recommend not to update your targets or dev. workbenches yet -- unless you are just really adventurous -- because a new Platform build will be out Wednesday ... rumor has it ... that is better (more tolerant, and more like previous "unzip and run" builds).

Status and changes so far ... only the first one is one you'll have to adjust to, in your day to day work.

1. after unzipping the eclipse SDK, all other zip files need to be unzipped, as is, to the new /eclipse/dropins directory There they should be "discovered", just like they used to be when all unzipped on top of an Eclipse base. (Eventually, when we have all-in-one builds from EPP, this will be all handled "before hand" by the installer, and will make startup much faster, as there is nothing to discover).

2. For right now (maybe fixed tomorrow) the platform doesn't correctly ignore optional features, so I had to install sdo runtime since an optional feature in DTP requires it.

3. There are 10 test suites that don't run at all. This is probably because they (or their features) don't specify the pre-reqs quite right, and end up with a "constraint not satisfied error". This could/should be fixed, but ... may be improved automatically and accidentally in Wednesday's Platform build.

org.eclipse.jst.jsf.contentassist.tests.AllTests
org.eclipse.jst.jsf.context.symbol.tests.AllTests
org.eclipse.jst.jsf.designtime.tests.AllTests
org.eclipse.jst.jsf.facesconfig.tests.AllFacesConfigTests
org.eclipse.jst.jsf.facesconfig.ui.test.AllTestCases
org.eclipse.jst.jsf.validation.el.tests.AllTests_1_1
org.eclipse.jst.jsf.validation.el.tests.AllTests_1_2
org.eclipse.jst.pagedesigner.tests.AllTests
org.eclipse.wst.jsdt.core.tests.compiler.JSDTTestAll
org.eclipse.wst.jsdt.core.tests.model.AllJavaModelTests

4. There are several errors in other tests ... some of which may be those "random heavy load" failures, but, some might be because there is some assumption somewhere about the install directories. For example, the relative location of our test servers and plugins is now changed. The basic directory structure is as below .... so, if anyone was assuming, for quick tests, that all the plugins were in same directory and nearly peers with test servers, then you might have to improve those tests.

eclipse
   plugins
       ... base plugins ...
   features
      ... base features ...
   dropins
          eclipse
               plugins
                    .... wtp and pre-req plugins ...
               features
                    .... wtp and pre-req features ...
   tomcat ...
   other test servers ...

There will be more information and announcements coming out about P2 shortly but it'll be cool and worth it in the end.
(and, not to worry, there are fall-back plans if things don't work out for some reason).

Back to the top