Re: [wtp-releng] 2.0M3 now must run under JDK5

Yes, sorry if that was not announced well enough, but when we moved to EMF M3, that nailed the runtime environment to Java 5.

This has always been our planned runtime for WTP 2.0. But ... if that's an issue, better speak up quick!

And, recall, this doesn't mean all plugins can "willy nilly" use Java 5 features. In general, each individual
plugin should specify its Execution Environment to the least possible runtime and only increase it if there's a
good reason to. (Similar to the principle that no plugin should add a "requires bundle" unless there is a good reason to).

I'll be writing up some guidelines this week for further technical information and policies for discussion.

If any questions, please ask.

Thanks for asking this one!

P.S. technically our build environment is only set up for Java 1.4 and Java 5 right now, but we can go lower later,
if anyone has some plugin they think might be (re)used in a more constrained environment.
(such as a mobile device, or light client).

P.S.S. Our JUnit tests are currently using Java 5 for all the tests, but eventually we'll make that
more specific to be what the tests really require (some only require 1.4).

Cameron Bateman <cameron.bateman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-releng-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

11/28/2006 06:51 PM

Please respond to
Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[wtp-releng] 2.0M3 now must run under JDK5

Sorry if this was announced and I just missed it, but is it the case
that 2.0M3 and forward must be run under JDK1.5?  When I try to run
under 1.4 I get the following in core EMF plugins:

Missing Constraint: Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment: J2SE-1.5

Which causes its bundles not to load and that cascades across pretty
much all WTP dependencies.

--Cam