[wtp-pmc] JPA Editor and Graphiti

Dear PMC,

This mail is a follow up of the discussion on the last PMC call regarding the move of the JPA Diagram Editor to the Dali project. As we know the JPA Editor has a build and runtime dependency to the Graphiti project, which is currently in incubation. I had to ask the Graphiti team what are their plans for Indigo.

I talked to Michael Wenz – the Graphiti project lead. Here is what I understood:
  • Graphiti is going to join the Indigo release train. As far as I can see Graphiti is already listed as Participating Project: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Indigo/Participating_Projects
  • Graphiti is not going to graduate to 1.0 release in the Indigo time frame. AFAIK, they will release version 0.8.0 as part of the Indigo train.

Regarding their motivation to not graduate for Indigo.
  • Graphiti still has only SAP committers. There are few contributions from other companies, but they are too small for building a new committer.
  • There is still no clear evidence that bigger products are built on top of Graphiti framework. Michaels says that the Graphiti project is still new to the community and he expects that larger products will be started on top of it in the next year. Then he expects that the project will receive larger feedback, which may result in API changes. By the way, the team things that the API is stable enough at the moment, but they can predict if changes will be necessary when the suspected feedback comes.

That’s what I know for now. I will use the time until next week to clarify some more things. I wanted to send this information earlier to you in case you want to state your opinion on this.

Greetings,
Kaloyan Raev
Senior Developer
TD Core JS App Model & Dev
SAP Labs Bulgaria
136A Tzar Boris 3 blvd.
1618 Sofia, Bulgaria
T +359 2 9157-416
mailto:kaloyan.raev@xxxxxxx
www.sap.com
Save a tree - please do not print this email unless you really need to.

Back to the top