[wtp-pmc] RE: [atf-dev] Open Mettings and getting the Source Code

Bjorn:

Let me respectfully disagree with your statements.

I have collaborated with the ATF team for several months now (to the
point that I am now part of it ), and I would qualify it as open and
transparent. This not the kind of "closed-shop" project you describe, as
I can witness.

It is being adopted by folks at JBoss, MyEclipse, Aptana and others.
It made important contributions to getting a Mozilla browser widget
generally available in the core 3.3 platform.
It does some important collaboration with other projects such as Mozilla
XULrunner and JavaXPCOM.
It is a small team that delivers.

Some project have more resource to dedicate than others to
communication, and some projects are quieter or less outgoing, pretty
much the same way some people can be quieter and less outgoing.  We are
probably not the best buzz generators are there for sure :-)

Note that the statement you are referring to below is just about a
project lead stating that he is taking some vacations and trying to push
a release out of the door that very week. This is a small team, and
getting our fearless leader out is something serious.
Saying he is not available this week is both polite, open and
transparent in my book.
What is wrong with that?

I think the harshness of your comments is both unwarranted and
unjustified.

And here are some elements of answers to your other remarks:

>Your 2.1 downloads do not have the word "incubation" in them. Your
project is no longer "incubation-conforming".
I think the "0.21" drop predated the requirement to include the word
incubation in the file name, or happened just about the requirement came
into effect. The build scripts have been updated since.

I am sure you noted that the weekly build now complies with that
requirement.

Would you want us to rename all the legacy drops file names?
It would not make sense to me. Please elaborate. Are Eclipse process
requirements retro active?

>You are not using the standard Eclipse version numbering as 0.2.1 is
not (in Eclipse naming) a milestone of 0.2.
>It should be something more like 0.2.1M4.
There has been ongoing work to update the version numbering scheme.
I am not aware of requirements for milestone numbering beyond those for
Europa projects.
I am aware of a guideline for incubation to use milestones, a common
practice to use milestones number in the released file names by several
projects, but not a requirement.
Do we should or do we must?

>Are you all doing Eclipse-standard six week milestones aiming for a 1.0
release?
>You should be, but I don't see any documentation of it anywhere.
To the best of my knowledge, this is again a guideline, not a
requirement.
Are you saying we should or we must?

We are striving for the "just enough process" Eclipse is advocating for.
For now the project is going more towards frequent iterative drops, and
making sure those both conform to the requirements, and make sense from
a software engineering perspective.

Cordially

--
Cheers