From: atf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:atf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Robert Goodman
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2007 5:45 PM
To: atf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [atf-dev] Thinking of dropping support for the Zimbra runtime

The ATF team is trying to get a feel for the number of people that are using the Zimbra Ajax runtime. The ATF team is thinking about dropping support for the Zimbra Ajax runtime. The support to be dropped is the capability to add Zimbra to a Dynamic Web Project in eclipse. The Zimbra Wizards (Create Zimbra Application) and snippets have already been dropped as part of dropping the personality support. The Create Application Wizards and snippets support has been dropped for all runtimes.

The Zimbra Ajax runtime as shipped by Zimbra has to be manually rebuilt into a WAR file that can then be installed into Dynamic Web Project. The build.xml files released by Zimbra have to be modified to build the war. Many of these build issues are described in the Zimbra forums. The Zimbra runtime is one of the few runtimes that has to be manually built from the package downloaded from the site to be used. The existing version of Zimbra Ajax runtime was manually built and put into a plugin and hosted on the Zimbra site. The plugin hasn't been updated for more that an year and there are no plans to update to the plugin.

There is also no plans to send Zimbra through the legal reviews to put the Zimbra Runtime on the Eclipse.org. We have started this process for other dependencies of ATF (JavaXPCOM, and XULRunner) with the plans to eventually support an ATF all-on-one download. Actually there are no plans to send any Ajax runtime though an eclipse legal review to be hosted on the ATF site. As I stated in previous post about removing the personality support, we are going to provide a Generic Runtime support will allow an Ajax Runtime to be defined to ATF and added to a project. We will be providing  GUIs that will allow a developer just point to a runtime and then be able to use it in ATF. There will also be extension points that will allow an Ajax  runtime to be packaged in a plugin.

It is possible for teams that want to support Zimbra, to extract the code from CVS and build and maintain your own version of the Zimbra plugins. The Zimbra Runitme plugin hosted on the Zimbra site contains instructions on how to build the Zimbra runtime.

The ATF team is trying to understand how people will be effected by the plans to drop support for Zimbra.

   Thanks
     Bob

Robert Goodman
goodmanr@xxxxxxxxxx