Re: FW: [wtp-pmc] JavaScript Development Tooling sub-component

Tim,
You have all the steps correct HOWEVER the statement "a description of the project" worries me because components are not projects. Components do not release independently. Components have a lead, but they are not managed independently. And wiki page about this (http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/ATF/JSDT) reads like this is a full blown Project. The plan for the component does not discuss its integration with the ATF project at all. Etc.

Additionally, does this component fit inside the scope defined for ATF? The scope for ATF says: "The AJAX Toolkit Framework (ATF) provides and extensible framework and exemplary tools for building IDEs for the many different AJAX runtime offerings (Dojo, Zimbra, Rico, etc) in the market. Tools built upon these frameworks will initially include: enhanced _javascript_ editing features such as edit-time syntax checking; an embedded Mozilla web browser; an embedded DOM browser; and an embedded _javascript_ debugger."

The scope for this new component says "The _javascript_ Development Tools's goal will be to develop a framework for development of _javascript_ applications, with full support for editing, refactoring, and searching. The _javascript_ editor would be designed such that is can be plugged in to the Web Tools. The _javascript_ Development Tools would be also be extensible such that new language features can easily be added."

This appears to be an extension to the original scope. If so, it needs to be announced to the entire membership in a public way (i.e., a Review).

P.S. Additionally, the ATF web pages do not include the Board-required statement that this is an Incubation project.

Tim Wagner wrote:

Please see the new component creation request from Craig below. Apart from CVS setup and our own WTP-level administrative issues, what else do we need to do to make this official?

--
Bjorn Freeman-Benson
Director, Open Source Process

voice: