[wtp-pmc] Minutes for PMC call Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Attendees: Arthur, Bob, Neil, Raghu, Jochen

JSF/JSP Visual Editor

Raghu - no new progress to report.

Requirements

Jochen - 4 SAP developers have registered for a WTP 2.0 Requirements telecon, but not the 2 from Bulgaria that we have been working with.

WTP 1.5.2

Arthur - There are 8 bugs in the PMC Approval Pending state. All PMC members should review these ASAP. [1]

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/plans/1.5.2/pmc-bug-approval.php

Dali

Neil - We are trying to integrate Dali into the WTP build process. We'll need to modify the releng component. Do we have access to it?
Arthur - You should. Get the build working locally first. BTW, there may still be directory name length limit problems on Windows. Use Linux if you hit errors.

ATF

Bob - Our AJAXWorld presentation went well. See my note for details. We had requests to support Mac, contribute our HTTP server to WST, contribute our Mozilla support to SWT, and make our XULRunner support available.
Arthur - Please create an enhancement bug to add the HTTP server to wst.server. Just do the package rename (see jst.server for examples) and attach it as a patch. Tim deBoer can review it and commit it for WTP 2.0.

Bob - There are 3 adopters of ATF.
Jochen - Add Innoopract and Genuitec to the list.
Bob - Aptenna is our only known competition but they are not ready to enter Open Source yet. They are building directly on RCP and are creating HTML and _javascript_ editors from scratch.
Bob - We need to create a _javascript_ model to make progress. We have decided to base our new _javascript_ editor on JDT. The JSEclipse project is interested in contributing.
Arthur - We need to ensure that this new editor is a complete replacement, i.e. it works on inline _javascript_ in the HTML, JSP, PHP editors. We don't want to support two editors since that would be a dual maintenance burden and is confusing for users.

Bob - I have been looking at the issue of redistributing third party content. I have completed the questionairre but am considering abandonning it and telling people to just download it themselves and use a Preference to indicate the install location (like for Tomcat support).
Arthur - You should continue with both approaches, i.e. package some version in WTP to lower the adoption pain, and also let people download the latest version and use a Preference (like for Ant). Our feedback is that users have problems assembling all the pieces, which is why we creating the all-in-one packages.

Bob - I received an offer from an external project to host a distribution of ATF with the third party content. They just want us to direct traffic there.
Arthur - You need to be fair to anyone else who makes the same offer.  Just be clear that Eclipse Foundation does not make any claim about the third party content being distributed.
Bob - OK. I'll get legal review.

JSF

Raghu - We have started the review of Facet support with Kosta. Also, we are discussing unified _expression_ Language support in JSP 2.1 with the JSP editor team. This is required for Java EE 5.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx

David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/10/2006 09:58 AM

Please respond to
"WTP PMC communications (including coordination, announcements,  and Group discussions)" <wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-pmc] Fw: Agenda for PMC call Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Call info:
  • Tollfree in the US: 866-214-3176
  • Alternate: 404-827-9098
  • Access code: 8870689#
Call Time: 7am PDT / 10am PDT / 4pm CEST!

Regrets: Tim, Naci, Jochen

Agenda:
  • Community
    • EclipseCon – monitor EclipseZilla ... how?
      • http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/wtp-pmc/msg00910.html
      • EclipseWorld this week
      • Process issues [Tim]
        • EMO Council meetings this week
        • Requirements and 2.0 Planning
        • 1.5.2 and 2.0 Status (David)
                        http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/plans/1.5.2/pmc-bug-approval.php
        • Visual editor component [Jean]
          • Summary and Open Items from last meeting?
            • Seperate Component? Or part of JSF Project/Component?
              • Can we get a proposal and plan in writing? (sometimes I can't hear exactly what's said on phone).
              • Assuming seperate component, still need committers and a leader named
              • We heard commitmants to provide JUnit tests, re-organize, if needed, as appropriate so can be used for HTML, and JSP, as well as JSF, and we heard the intent to make product quality.
              • We (well, ok, me :)  still need to do code and design review of contribution to provide feedback.
              • Dali/JPA [Neil]
              • JSF [Raghu]
              • ATF [Bob]

                             http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/wtp-pmc/msg00910.html

                     Some comments on Bob's comments

                     Why no HTTPD Server? We thought you were doing it :)
                   Mozilla on Mac? Is this related to "Mozilla Everywhere" bug
              154124
                     Sounds like Bob is offering to take-over/replace _javascript_ component?
                             Don't forget we have requirement that component maintain its integrated _javascript_ experience (for example, same content assist from HTML Editor, as from JS editor).
                             On the plan to "copy JDT and change for _javascript_" ... are you sure not better to "copy CDT and change for _javascript_"? They've gone through some of that abstraction language neutrality already.