Re: [wtp-pmc] PMC approval..

Here's my advice and observations. Yes, an hour is too much. On average, I probably spend 5 to 10 minutes per bug, ... some less, some more.

My guess is you are "reviewing the code" too much, which is not necessarily our job (I do it a lot, but ... that's just me).

The main thing PMC members should review for are does the importance of fixing this bug justify the risk to the project of changing
the code at this late date.
So, some subjective judgement about importance ...
and some subjective judgment about risk ...
(you dont' have to say if its the right fix or not :)  that's helpful, but not what is being asked of you).

I suspect we all have an idea of what importance means ... is it a major, frequently seen use-path ... is it a "prime use case" for the project ... does it interfere with an adopter's imagined use of WTP.
As for risk ... there's always the obvious: amount of change, change in logic or behavior vs. a null check, change, doc vs. change in code, to the not so obvious is this "core code" or some fringe code not used my others.
AND ... I think it's helpful if PMC member remind component leads of the right PROCESS ... and, if it is not documented who or how its been reviewed, or who and how its been tested, then ... that'd be a fair request to make before you vote.

I hope this helps.

"raghunathan srinivasan" <raghunathan.srinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/18/2006 01:21 PM

Please respond to
"raghunathan.srinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx" <raghunathan.srinivasan@xxxxxxxxxx>; Please respond to
"WTP PMC communications (including coordination, announcements,  and Group discussions)" <wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx" <wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[wtp-pmc] PMC approval..

Hi,

I have been reviewing the code as part of the approval process. However, this takes time (~1hr/bug) before I feel comfortable to approve a bug. And given that I am new to the WTP code, there are fixes where I would prefer to abstain. But this can lead to a bottleneck in the approval process. Am I doing the correct thing or do you have any guideline I can use before I approve a bug?

Thanks
wtp-pmc mailing list
wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx