[wtp-pmc] planning council summary

The planning council met in Chicago this past week. Some of what was discussed was the “plan for a plan” for Europa (the “Callisto of 2007”). Some concrete details that affect WTP:

·         The first Callisto maintenance pack will ship on Friday, September 29th with a mid-September RC. All Callisto projects pledged to be on that train (including us).

·         There will be a second maintenance pack, some strategy in the late January / early February timeframe (no specific date assigned yet).

·         For Europa, projects are requested to “join the train” as early as possible – ideally by October. This will provide platform with useful feedback and help mitigate risk. A similar “pile on window” will be used as for Callisto, with the platform reaching milestone dates, then 1st level dependencies, then 2nd level dependencies, etc.

·         EMF has decided to require Java 5 (aka 1.5)-level VM for its Europa release; this essentially dictates that we do likewise. (Which is helpful in that our focus on EE 5 for the 2.0 release requires annotation processing APIs.)

·         IBM proposed a new approach using an Eclipse project to produce language packs in the post-Callisto timeframe, and solicited other members to join them in that effort.

·         Janet Campbell reviewed the IP process, for which we now have a handy new flowchart (need to get the online pointer; we looked at printed material).

There was also some discussion of process pain points, especially IP reviews, a debrief of what went right/wrong with Callisto, and a cake for David (who may want to chime in with additional items and/or architecture council summary for WTP).

The Board discussions included (along with the usual procedural stuff):

·         Some discussion of the competitive threat netbeans represents

o        It would be helpful to review the “WTP of netbeans” functionality and develop a feature-by-feature comparison to see how our project stacks up.

o        ATF represents a significant leading edge technology and “coolness / wow” factor that we should exploit further.

·         Removal of the prohibition on “server” projects at Eclipse (since we have several already)

Let me know if you have further questions about either of these meetings.

Back to the top