[wtp-pmc] FW: clarifying WTP<-->DTP evolution for "Comet"

Response from John.

-----Original Message-----
From: jograham@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jograham@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 7:44 AM
To: Tim Wagner
Subject: Re: clarifying WTP<-->DTP evolution for "Comet"

Tim,

In the Comet timeframe DTP plans to complete the consolidation of the
code
lines originally contributed (from WTP, BIRT, Sybase, and objectNation).
In
our previous discussions with Arthur, we had effectively promised
equivalent functionality to what exists in WTP/rdb today, but the
underlying architecture, plug-in structure, and so on will be quite
different. In discussions with WTP/rdb committers, we found that there
are
no API declared in rdb, and we identified two migration areas (1) model
extensions, (2) connection templates. For the model extensions, we are
pretty close to the "just package renames" ideal, and we expect no
significant changes in the DTP models going forward (though there could
be
a few minor tweaks). This gives anyone extending these models a
relatively
easy migration path. For the connection templates, we have incorporated
support for them in our connectivity layer, so -- while there is a
definition migration here -- there can be significant reuse of
user-modified templates.

I'd be happy to have a meeting with you and Arthur to discuss this more.
Perhaps having Der Ping Chou and Sheila Sholars from IBM (and WTP/rdb)
would be useful as well.

Regards,
John Graham
Staff Software Engineer
Sybase, Inc.
telephone: (978) 287-1634  (GMT - 5)
e-mail: john.graham@xxxxxxxxxx

             "Tim Wagner"

             <twagner@xxxxxxx>

             10/18/2005 09:43          <jograham@xxxxxxxxxx>

             AM
cc

Subject
                                       clarifying WTP<-->DTP evolution
for
                                       "Comet"

John,

Note that I'm using the "Comet" name, under the presumption that it will
win the voting ;-).

Wanted to ping you on the migration plan for the RDB tools currently in
WTP. To support our users with minimal service interruption, the
expectation is that these move from WTP to DTP with only package changes
in
the "Comet" timeframe. (Beyond that, I assume you will begin a phased
evolution that incorporates them into your larger API set.)

Does that coincide with your understanding/plans? If not, can you, I,
and
Arthur get together for a call to discuss and make sure we're all on the
same page?

Thanks,

-t

Back to the top