Re: [wtp-pmc] release review draft slide deck ACTION REQUIRED

As I mentioned in another post, the SF site [1] is just for some small Web services libs that are hosted on SF. At present, they are at the same level as the ones we ship in WTP.

[1] http://eclipseupdates.sourceforge.net/

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

"Max Rydahl Andersen" <max.andersen@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/25/2005 09:45 AM

Please respond to
"WTP PMC communications (including coordination, announcements,  and Group discussions)"

"WTP PMC communications (including coordination, announcements,  and Group discussions)" <wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Craig Salter/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>, Naci Dai <naci.dai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
Re: [wtp-pmc] release review draft slide deck  ACTION REQUIRED

Hi,

Just noticed a small thing in those slides that surprised me.
It seems you are going to use sf.net to provide an update site.

In our experience that is a bad move since the web/http feed from
sf.net is not geared towards high volume loads of .jar file downloads.

We had a jboss ide updates site on sf.net and we had nothing but problems
with respect to timeouts and broken/incomplete downloads. (which eclipse
update
mechanism btw. doesnt handle very gracefully :(

Just a warning ;)

note, sf.net's site is very good to host file downloads (because they are
mirrored),
but the website only works best if its small (html et.al.) files its going
to host.
An eclipse update site doesn't fall under a normal website IMO ;)

/max