[wtp-pmc] J2EE Component Feature Proposal

There has been a lot of discussion recently about the proposed changes to the Flexible Project and Server APIs to associate Features with J2EE Components, rather than associate Servers with Projects. The conclusion appears to be that this is a valuable idea and WTP should support it, but that it is not containable in M5. I would therefore like to resolve this proposal so we can move forward and complete M5. The following strikes me as the best way forward:

1. Defer this API change to WTP 1.1.
2. Change the status of any affected portions of the flexible project and server APIs to provisional in order to accomodate change in WTP 1.1.
3. Document the status of the provisional portions of these APIs in Javadoc, component.xml, and release documentation, but NOT in a package rename since that would be very disrupting, both now and later to the WTP team and to consuming teams.
4. Maintain the current schedule.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077