[wtp-jst-dev] Adding new project type to WTP

Title: Adding new project type to WTP

Hi

I am trying to create a new project type in WTP. It's basically a container for one or more EAR-files and some configuration data. I have a project facet that seems to work OK and I have a property page where I check which of the available ear projects I want to include in the project, but I cannot get the references to the EAR projects to work correctly.

My code is heavily based on the code for EAR projects, customizing only what I thought was necessary. I have created my own VirtualComponent, VirtualFolder and DataModelProvider. After a lot of debugging I think I isolated the first symptom that I have made a mistake to the addReferences method in VirtualComponent.java where the line WorkbenchComponent component = core.getComponent(); returns null, which prevents component.getReferencedComponents().add(referencedComponent); from being called a few lines further down.

How can I find out why my instance of StructureEdit is missing a WorkbenchComponent (and why the EAR projects do not have this problem)? Maybe I have gone about this all wrong from the start and should not base my approach on how it is done for EAR?

Regards

-Tobias

Back to the top