Re: [wtp-jst-dev] Remote Server support in WTP (telecon notes)

Thanks for the notes Tim. I will be following up with a link for our JSR88 project once we have everything uploaded. I'm hoping it should be by the end of the week.

Tim Wagner wrote:

Telecon on 7/11/2005

Attending:

Raghu Srinivasan, Jerry Keffler (Oracle)

Rob Stryker, Marshall Culpepper (JBoss)

Ted Bashor, Tim Wagner (BEA)

Tim de Boer, Arthur Ryman, David Williams (IBM)

  • JMX and JSR 88 are in scope/charter. No resources have yet been identified. There is a need for vendor-specific functionality (descriptor file support, tool-specific support in the form of descriptions, e.g.)
  • Rob/Marshall: JBoss is working on this functionality in their tool - current implementation targets JBoss, but intent was to be vendor-neutral (supports all of JSR 88). XPath/dialog presentation is one likely extension point to encompass varying vendor concerns.
  • Tim dB: JSR 88 should be a set of tools that are usable by server adapters within WTP; they would share a common deployment API, with extension points for construction of vendor-specific objects.
  • IBM and BEA both have implementations that are entwined with vendor-specific code; could not be contributed easily in their current incarnation. Both companies are interested in seeing JSR 88 functionality in WTP.
  • Oracle interested in understanding and likely adopting whatever JSR 88 framework will be made available within WTP.

AIs:

  • JBoss will investigate whether their existing JSR 88 support can be migrated to WTP and used to support JBoss in the 1.0 timeframe. Marshall will forward link to JBoss project page.
  • Thomas Yip (BEA) available for collaboration.