From: wtp-jst-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wtp-jst-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Arthur Ryman
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 10:34 AM
To: J2EE Standard Tools developer discussions
Cc: J2EE Standard Tools developer discussions; wtp-jst-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [wtp-jst-dev] Notes from today's EJB3 meeting?

Richard,

The inclusion of the Data tools in WTP was somewhat of a stretch, but we justified on the grounds that most Web apps access databases and at the time there was no other Eclipse project to host Data. Also, we focused on the "standards" theme since the aspects of Data that WTP was focusing on was defined by ANSI (i.e. SQL editing), and there was JDBC, JSP tags, SQLJ, etc. defined by JCP.

However, when Sybase proposed DTP, we were the first ones to say that Data tools should move there. We even had a joint WTP/DTP meeting at EclipseCON. I believe everyone wants Eclipse projects to have the "right" architecture.

When I say EJB 3.0 should build on the current WTP support for EJB, I mean that EJB 3.0 should fit in with the existing models, editors, views, wizards, etc. For example, EJBs are currently rendered as first class J2EE components in our J2EE Project Explorer view. Also, we have models for all the J2EE 1.4 deployment descriptors. We are planning to support J2EE 1.5 in our post WTP 1.0 release.

I think the optimal way to achieve seamless UI and schedule integration is to host all aspects of J2EE 1.5 development within the WTP project. There is a lot of experience in the current WTP team and if we combine this with experts in EJB 3.0, we will achieve the best possible result for Eclipse users and ISVs.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

"Robert Greene" <rgreene@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-jst-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/13/2005 12:29 PM

Please respond to
J2EE Standard Tools developer discussions

"J2EE Standard Tools developer discussions" <wtp-jst-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
<wtp-jst-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
RE: [wtp-jst-dev] Notes from today's EJB3 meeting?

Hi Arthur,

So, it seems I have catching up to do regarding the WTP subprojects :-)

"The scope of JST is standards defined by JCP for J2EE, which certainly includes EJB 3.0. Any project that supports EJB 3.0 should build on the EJB support currently in WTP. "
[RCG]  I think it would be important to understand what you mean why you say EJB 3.0 projects should "build"  upon the current support.   Can we identify the areas that you think are important?   I know some of the things are those which have moved to DTP and we are working with those, but I suspect there are other areas you are thinking about.  Can you elaborate?

Thanks,
-Robert

J2EE Standard Tools developer discussions