Re: [wtp-jsf-dev] Build Breaker Solution

A good stop gap on the compliance setting deficiencies would be to enable a nightly build from HEAD. We have tried to do our own locally, but have run into a lot of problems trying to do a local build from behind are our gateway since (at least the last time I tried) the build scripts don't seem to be enabled for proxied use.

Has nightly build from HEAD ever been attempted on the main build servers? I think this would go a long way to reducing the surprise breakages that often delay our weekly I-builds.

--Cam

David M Williams wrote:

Yes, the right way to do this is to specify the J2SE Execution of Environment (as 1.4 in your case). It is easiest to do this with the PDE Manifest.mf editor -- its at bottom of first page -- since it gives you a nice list to pick from, plus a link that you can use to update the classpath and project preferences. This then tweaks the _class libraries_ that are used to compile the code. The compliance setting itself doesn't really say anything about libraries and in that case that no EE is specified, the workspace default is used, which, if you are running on a 1.5 VM will ....
well, you get the idea.

People make this mistake so often (myself included) some usability improvements would be a fair enhancement request and opportunity for someone to provide a patch to JDT. Simple things ... like a link on that property page to "go to" the EE value setting, or perhaps a simple checkbox or drop-down that would say something like
"[ ] change EE setting to match Compliance setting"

There are cases where you do not want this matching to happen, But ... maybe that'll be chapter two :)

*Cameron Bateman <cameron.bateman@xxxxxxxxxx>*
Sent by: wtp-jsf-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/25/2007 01:42 PM
Please respond to
Java Server Faces Tools developer discussion <wtp-jsf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

	Java Server Faces Tools developer discussion <wtp-jsf-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
	Re: [wtp-jsf-dev] Build Breaker

David,

We have noticed that setting JDK compliance to 1.4 does not detect cases
like this break where the non-compliance in question is new API on a JDK
class itself.  I want to force the project-level compliance preference
on all our projects to 1.4, but situations like this still won't be
detected.  Is there a workaround that you are aware of for this issue?

--Cam