[wtp-jsf-dev] Meeting Minutes: Review support for Unified Expression Language in WTP 2.0

Topic: Unified EL design time support

Day                  :    Friday, October 6, 2006
UTC                  :    18:00

Attendees:

Raghu Srinivasan
Cameron Bateman
Nitin Dahyabhai
Gerry Kessler
Ian Trimble

Nitin: EL support currently only used for JSP-to-Java translation
      Plan for WTP 2.0 is only to support EL for translation and
      perhaps fix some bugs

Raghu: Is there a way to determine what version of JSP is used based on
facet version?

Nitin: Don't know yet.   No other mechanisms is currently proposed.

Raghu: Is there any time on the JSP editor end to support bug fixes on
parser?

Nitin: Can't promise any at this point.  Down the road, would support
JSF team making parser changes directly with minimal supervision.

Nitin: Can the Unified EL framework be used to resolve things like variables in Java code?

Cameron: More analysis is required.  In theory, any EL expression for which sufficient
design-time context (i.e. knowing what EL symbols are in scope) could be enhanced by the
proposed tooling.

Nitin: What support for EL syntax coloring is planned?

Cameron: Currently we are working on the underlying framework to support
such features.  The framework will have enough knowledge to support such
coloring, although it is unclear whether we will have time implement the
feature or whether this may be left to others.

Cameron: What about support for us to add our own hyperlink and hover text?

Nitin: That is more Amy's area on the SSE side.  Some discussion is
already on-going in this area.

Raghu: We will launch/cc further bugs in this area to help promote our
requirements in this area wrt to EL and other JSF features.

Nitin: Bugs are best launched against jst.jsp at first or sse if needs
to be pushed down the stack.

Resolved that:

- Aside from help integrating user features, JSP editor team is
promising no resources to help with Unified EL for WTP 2.0 at this time.
- JSF team will proceed to focus on adding Unified EL design time
tooling focussed on JSF needs, but with sufficiently flexible design
that others such as JSP can integrate if they want to.
- A clear differentiation will made (probably based on project facet) as
to what version of the EL tooling will available to the end user.
Emphasis in this area will be on not breaking implementations based on
existing EL tooling support.

Actions:

- JSF team will launch/participate in discussions in areas such as
syntax coloring, hyperlink and hover text to promote the needs of JSF
tooling in the JSP editor.

- Cameron will follow-up on the applicability of Unified tooling to non-JSF JSP
scenarios, specifically those involving use in Java.

-- End of Minutes --

Back to the top