Re: [wtp-jsf-dev] Here's a few more build/eclipse tips to get you further

David M Williams wrote:

Tips from your friendly WTP-buildmaster-apprentice :)

Before worrying too much about "getting into the build", here's a few things I noticed by checking the JSF projects out of CVS (the head versions).

I noticed some warnings in plugin.xml files, about "classes not found". that indicated something that will turn into a runtime error .. either the class reallly isn't there, or there's something wrong with the "pre-reqs" in the manifest.mf.

More important:

*How to do a build, without doing a build: * Select your feature.xml file. Pick the "PDE Tools" --> "create ant build file option. "

This generates a "PDE build.xml file", just like what occurs during the normal "standalone" build process.
(And you should never have to modify this file).

If you do that for your's, for example, you'll notice it can not generate the build.xml file.

You get a error message "can not find jsf core .001" .... that's because the
jsf.core plugin has 0.1.0 in the manifest.
So that could be fixed to .0.0.1.
And, actually, there's some tricks there you can leave many versions as 0.0.0, and then they are "computed" at build time, by the "top most feature" (or ... and/or vice versa, from plugins up)
I think this PDE feature is doc'd prettty well,
but the choice in PDE editor is not: ... "Synchronize versions of contained plugins".
(it'll give you several choices).

Once you can create a build.xml file,
select it, "Run Ant ... " ... I usual pick "hide internal" and "sort" ...
then, use "clean", "build jars", [not the default build update jars], "refresh", "create zip distribution".

If that completes without errors, you're ready to test. runtime .. you can export the zip, and extract to
a seperate "test" version of WTP and see how it works!

*Important note*: anything that's generated during above process should not be checked into CVS, but added to your .cvsignore file (there are nice menu actions for that). To be explicit:
the zips produced
build.xml
@dot directory
temp.folder,
etc.

Minor note: many of the above steps can be accomplished with "Export ...." --> "distributable feature".

Have fun!

Hi David,

Thanks for the expert advice, I am able to do a build without doing a build! I can do the following without any error:
1) "PDE Tools" --> "create ant build file option. "
2) Run the resulting ANT build file
3) Export the feature to an update site
4) Install the feature and verify the functionality.

I plan to check-in the changes tomorrow.
I then plan to implement Jeffrey's suggestions for integrating with the WTP build process so that I can do the build with the build!

Thanks
Raghu

Back to the top