Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] Begging of The End?

> but it has always been the policy

Whose policy? I don't mean to be dense, but having hoops to jump through is
contrary to the underlying principles for the incubator project. The
incubators work the best when any party can gain access simply by stating
their intentions. See e4. What if there was zero code and just an idea? What
if the code was started and then the decision was made to continue working
on it in the open? It maybe ugly as heck with zero unit tests. Note that I
don't know anything about this contribution or have any reason to doubt the
quality of the code. Asking hypotheticals here.

What I have seen here is an earnest effort to be open. A proposal was
circulated and commented on. There was even a brief discussion at one of the
wtp meetings. There is no possible justification for throwing up roadblocks.
All that it does is hurt the viability of this incubator.

Expectations of code quality, unit tests, track record, etc all have their
place. Just not for incubator projects.

I actually think it's rather silly to vote on committers for proposed
incubator components. It should be sufficient for PMC to accept the
proposal. However EDP doesn't allow that, so we go through this unnecessary
step. There hasn't been much call to fix that in EDP, because so far the
social norms have been sufficient and existing incubator committers
understanding the purpose of the project have been welcoming (those who
bothered to vote). Of course, when social norms break down, the process may
need to be fixed.

What I suspect is happening here is that we have several components in the
incubator that have been there for a long time and have reached certain
levels of process maturity, even if they aren't ready to graduate for one
reason or another. The needs of these projects aren't in line with the needs
of incoming parties looking for a welcoming playground to experiment in WTP
area. I have suggested this to PMC and I will suggest it here too. Perhaps
it is time for certain components that presently live in the incubator to
spin of as separate projects.

- Konstantin