[wtp-incubator-dev] Holger's Objections

> Holger Voormann voted:
>     0
> I\'m disappointed that it seems that to become a committer one does not
> have to prove oneself worthy anymore by contributing before nomination.
:-(

Several things to note on this...

1. The purpose of incubator projects such as the WTP incubator project is
precisely to provide easy entry for potential contributors. Once there, they
can work on a new feature in the open and prove their merit. The in depth
evaluation of the code and committers happens when a chunk of code is
proposing to emerge from incubation and merge into the core WTP. The process
is very different from becoming a committer on an established codebase, on
purpose.

2. The Eclipse Development Process provides that when a project is created,
as part of that creation, a group of committers is declared. There is no
vote on that as no one is being asked to admit additional committers onto an
existing code base. The new committers are for the new code base that is
being established for that project.

3. The persistent incubator projects such as the WTP incubator project are
an end-run around the arguably too labor-intensive and lengthy process of
starting an actual project. This creates a perversion of the process, where
committers in unrelated areas are being asked to vote on committers that
would normally not require a vote (see #2 above).

I welcome the new SAP committers and wish them luck with this undertaking.

- Konstantin

Back to the top