From: shane clarke <shane_clarke@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <wtp-incubator-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 08/23/2009 05:58 PM
Subject: [wtp-incubator-dev] Should we drop the POJO web service type in the        Web Services wizard?
Sent by: wtp-incubator-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

…and revert back to using the Java bean type.

I’ve been taking a fresh look at this lately as there’s an upcoming contribution from SAP AG that integrates there JAX-WS web service runtime with the web services wizard that uses the existing Java bean type.

That would lead to two JAX-WS runtimes using two different types and obviously we can’t do that.

That and there have been issues (Bugs #243286, #243290) with switching between the types that we’ve had to introduce workarounds for. Not ideal.

The POJO type was introduced to get around the object selection widget that's used in the Bottom up Java bean scenario so that the service implementation selection was limited to source types in the workspace and that the user could also browse to select a Java interface as a starting point.

If we change back we will lose the ability to select an interface in the selection dialog. You will however still be able to enter the interface name in the combo box and opening the web services wizard from the context menu of an interface will also pre-populate that field. An additional check in one of the CXF commands could catch a binary type selection.

Or course it’s not a decision that should be made lightly as changing it back would have an impact on existing adopters (mainly Progress/FUSE Tools in the area of documentation) and existing users who are familiar with the current wizard workflow.

Most of the video tutorials linked to on the wiki would also need updating but they do need updating anyway.

Oisin what do you guys think about dropping the POJO type?

And with the primary goal of the JAX-WS component being to eventually graduate from the Incubator and become part of WTP proper I’d be interested in hearing any thoughts or opinions on this from anyone in WTP Web Services.

Shane

With Windows Live, you can organize, edit, and share your photos._______________________________________________
wtp-incubator-dev mailing list
wtp-incubator-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx