Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] Possible VEX contributor

David Carver wrote:
...  What is the standard procedure?   My understanding is that there should be a couple of patches and contributions submitted first, and then we can start the procedure of getting commit rights.

Particularly he is interested in DITA, and getting VEX to work as a multi-page editor with SSE's XML support.

[Did I never answer this? I thought I did, but don't see it].

This sounds great. As for standard procedure, yes, patches and some history with other committers on the project would be the expectation. There's no hard and fast exact rule, but if you are asking for guidance, I think 5 or 10 quality patches, a few bug entries, responses, maybe one some newsgroup posts ... all over a month or two's period of time. And this criteria is for incubating projects ... I think for a mature project, the criteria is higher ... in the quantitative areas, maybe 3 or 4 times as much, just as a rough guideline. The bottom line in both cases, in my view, is that the other committers on a project must have a sense of trusting the person (to do good, and do no harm :) and would believe he'd be an on-going productive member and decision maker on the project. That is, it's more that just "providing code" ... contributors can, and are encouraged to provide code via patches, and there's no reason all contributors have to become committers.

Hope that helps,

Back to the top