Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] XSLFO and Apache FOP

DOUG SATCHWELL wrote:
I'm wondering whether there is scope to cover the half of the XSL spec - XSLFO. I have often used Apache FOP to render PDF's, and I know it is something many people would appreciate.
It would be fairly easy to integrate FOP supprt into the JAXP launcher, we just need to add a new 'Formatter' tab to the launch dialog.
I think it's a good idea. The question to ask is what type of support to provide for XSL FO. There is a plugin already available that adds support for FOP and XSLFO directly.

http://www.ahmadsoft.org/fopbridge.html

Since they have it as open source, we could check to see if they might be willing to contribute it. I think we need to look at this from what is necessary to provide XSL FO support, not just what is necessary for FOP.

As for FOP support itself, besides just generating and rendering to XSLFO and then into PDF, I would like to see the following:

1. Integrate the FOP Viewer as an Eclipse View. FOP has a Swing viewer that could be leveraged using the SWING/SWT Bridge to allow direct viewing of XSL FO Documents.

2. Allow selection of output formats.

3. Allow selection of which version of the FOP processor to use (0.25, 0.93, 0.94, 0.95).

4. Grammar Validation of XSL FO documents.

5. Content Assistance for XSL FO (items 4 and 5 can be handled through a XSL FO Grammar or DTD). FOP provides an XSD Schema that could be used.

6. Extension point so that a User can choose the XSL FO processor to use. FOP, XEP, RenderX, etc.

7. Ability to setup FOP Configuration files for Fonts, etc.

Dave

Back to the top